When We Are Closed

If you have a life threatening medical emergency when the practice is closed, please ring 999.

When it’s less urgent than 999 call 111

What is 111?

NHS 111 is a new telephone service that helps to  make it easier for you to access local health services.

If you live in Oxfordshire, you can now call 111 when you need help fast, but it isn’t a 999 emergency.  The 111 service is currently not available in border areas with phone numbers starting 0118, 01793, 01280 and 01844.

You can ring 111, 365 days a year, to reach a full range of local health services, including out of hours, doctors, community nurses, emergency dental care and late opening chemists.Calls from landlines and mobile phones are free – just like 999.

Type Text Talk for Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing People

The 111 service is also available via typetalk on number 18001 111

How does it work?

111 will get you through to a team of highly-trained advisers, who are supported by experienced nurses. They will assess your symptoms and guide you to the right local service.

Wherever possible, the NHS 111 team will transfer you directly to the people you need to speak to. If they think you need an ambulance, they will send one immediately – just as if you had originally dialled 999.

When do I use it?

People should use the NHS 111 service if they need help or advice urgently but it’s not a life-threatening situation. You should call 111 if:

  • it’s not a 999 emergency;
  • you don’t think it can wait for an appointment with your GP; or
  • you don’t know who to call for medical help.

For less urgent health needs, you should still contact your GP or dentist in the usual way, and for immediate, life-threatening, emergencies please continue to call 999.

Why should I use it?

NHS 111 is a fast and convenient way to get the right help – whatever your need, wherever you are, and whatever the time.

It can also help us to free up 999 and local A&E departments so that they can focus on emergency cases.

What if I have already been given a number to call for a condition I have?

If you are already receiving healthcare and a health professional has given you a specific telephone number to call when you are concerned about your condition, please continue to use that number.

Download information in a different language

To download NHS 111 information in a different language please visit NHS Choices website.

Minor Injuries

The minor injuries unit operates out of Witney Hospital on Welch Way in Witney and is open from 10.00a.m. until 10.30p.m.

Minor Injuries Units can treat a wide variety of problems including:

  • Cuts/grazes and lacerations
  • Sprains and strains
  • Broken bones (fractures)
  • Bites and stings (including human/animal bites)
  • Infected wounds
  • Minor head injuries
  • Minor eye infections, foreign bodies & scratches

If you are not sure whether your injury is minor and can be treated in a Minor Injuries Unit, please telephone 111 to advise you and direct you to the most appropriate place for your care.

Anything more major will need to be dealt with by the A & E Department at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford or ring 999 in the case of severe chest pain, loss of blood or suspected broken bones where the person can not be moved.

Examples of symptoms/emergencies requiring A & E:

  • Loss of consciousness
  • Heavy blood loss
  • Suspected broken bones
  • Persistent chest pain for 15 minutes or more
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Overdose, ingestion or poisoning

Walk-In Centres

NHS Walk-in Centres give you fast access to health advice and treatment. There are now NHS Walk-in Centres throughout England. Usually open seven days a week, from early in the morning until late in the evening, they offer

  • Treatment for minor illnesses and injuries
  • Assessment by an experienced NHS nurse
  • Advice on how to stay healthy
  • Information on out-of-hours GP and dental services
  • Information on local pharmacy services
  • Information on other local health services

There are some variations between services offered by Walk-in Centres across the country but normally most centres can provide the following services:

  • Advice on local GP and pharmacy services
  • Blood pressure checks
  • Contraceptive advice
  • Coughs, colds and flu-like symptoms
  • Dressing care
  • Emergency contraception
  • Hayfever, bites and stings
  • Health promotion: diet, exercise
  • Information on staying healthy/local services
  • Minor cuts and wounds - care, dressings
  • Muscle and joint injuries - strains and sprains
  • Skin complaints - rashes, sunburn, headlice
  • Smoking cessation support
  • Stomach ache, indigestion, constipation, vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Suturing
  • Women's health problems, eg thrush, menstrual advice

Our closest walk-in centres are in Swindon:

Swindon NHS Walk-in-Centre 
Swindon Health Centre 
Carfax Street 

The Swindon NHS Walk-in-Centre 
Clover Centre 
Great Wastern Hospital 
Marlborough Road 

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website